Vietnam Contemporary Art Theatre is a cultural business unit with revenues under the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. The Theater was formerly established on 14 Apr 1986; however, its formation had already launched in 1979 with the establishment of the Contemporary Song, Dance and Music Group and Vietnamese Traditional Music Group belonging to Vietnam Song, Dance and Music Theater.
Right from the early days of operation, the Contemporary Song, Dance and Music Group had a team of famous artists such as People's Artist Tran Hieu , Meritorious Artist Manh Ha , People's Artist Quang Tho, Meritorious Artist Quang Huy, Meritorious Artist Vu Dau , Meritorious Artist Thuy Ha , Meritorious Artist Thanh Hoa , Ai Van , Le Quyen and so on together with dancers such as People's Artist Tran Binh, Meritorious Artist Thanh Diep, Meritorious Artist Anh Nghiem, Meritorious Artist Nguyet Anh , Tuyet Mai ... and musicians such as Hoang Thinh , Anh Tuan ... From the early days , with a team of very little artists, poor and outdated equipment, facilities close to zero; every program and activity had to be performed manually. The Group had exerted all its strength in organizing and performing, thinking and creating continuously to become the unit having the most performances and highest revenues in all Art Groups of the North at that time. Performances through Vietnam for the purpose of national politics, rural people and performance in foreign countries have formed a new art style, bringing contemporary breath and attracting audiences. It was the reason that the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism decides to establish 02 independent groups: Vietnamese Traditional Music Group and Contemporary Song, Dance and Music Group – known as Vietnam Contemporary Art Theatre.
Two decades over, being born and developed in the context of the national reform under the leadership of the Party, Vietnam Contemporary Art Theatre is an offspring of a comprehensive national innovation period. In spite of being an extremely new art, its officers, artists, characters and employees have finished the tasks assigned by the Party, State and Information – Culture sector. With a process of serious, consistent and persistent labor with breakthrough innovation in the field of art, the Theatre has succeeded in collecting, enhancing and developing Contemporary Art distinct with Contemporary Music in comparison with other countries in the region and around the World. All art performances have been appreciated not only in term of social significance but also the contributions of true art, talent s, heart of the Theatre’s artist and employees. The Theatre is proud of generations of famous artists including individuals having the first contribution in establishment and development of Vietnam Contemporary Music such as Musician Nguyen Van Thuong, Musician Pham Dinh Sau; the artist of the first and second generations of today young artists. In addition, it has a lot of contemporary music artists who has been admired such as Singer Ai Van, Le Quyen, Thanh Lam, Hong Nhung, My Linh , Ho Quynh Huong , Viet Hoan, To Minh Thang and so on. Vietnam Contemporary Art Theatre and its top artists were awarded Labor Medal and a lot of awards and noble titles.
- “The 51st anniversary of Uncle Ho’s visit to Fishing Village, Traditional day of Vietnam Fishery Sector and Opening day of Cat Ba Tourism 2010”
- “Miss World Vietnamese” in Vinpearl Land – Nha Trang from 17/08 to 22/08/2010
- “Thang Long Strong Impetus – National Song” welcoming 1000th Anniversary of Thang Long - Hanoi at Ly Thai To Flower Garden dated 06/10/2010.
- “1000th Anniversary Thang Long – Hanoi – Gathering and Shining” at Ba Dinh Quarter dated 10/10/2010.
- “Hope Forever” – welcoming the success of the 11th National Congress of Delegates of the Party dated 19/01/2011 at My Dinh National Stadium.
- “Annual Meeting of Asian Development Bank (ADB)” dated 05/05/2011 at the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long- Hanoi.
- The First International Tea festival – Thai Nguyen, Vietnam and “Tea Beauty” contest dated 10/11 – 15/11/2011 in Thai Nguyen City.
- “The Ceremony of Ha Long Bay listed among new seven natural wonders” dated 27/04/2012 at My Dinh National Stadium.
- “Quang Tri – Hero song” on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Quang Tri Liberation (1972 – 2012) dated 01/05/2012 at Dong Ha Stadium, Quang Tri Province.
- “The 50th Anniversary of Thai Nguyen Province” dated 19/10/2012 in Thai Nguyen City.
- “The 100th Anniversary of Kontum Province” dated 01/02/2013 in Kon Tum City.
- “Vietnam Family Launching Ceremony 2013” dated 16/03/2013 in Hanoi City.
- “The Opening Ceremony of Carnaval Ha long 2013” dated 27/04/2013 in Ha Long, Quang Ninh Province.
- “The Opening Ceremony of National Tourism in the Red River Delta – Hai Phong 2013” dated 11/05/2013.
- The Final of “Queen of Jewelry Vietnam 2013” dated 18/09/2013 at the Friendship Cultural Palace in Hanoi, Hanoi.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
From the establishment until now, the Theatre has been honor awarded thanks to its achievements in art performance activities such as:
- Noble prizes given by the President, Prime Minister of Socialist Republic of Vietnam:
- 01 Third Labor Medal
- 02 First Labor Medals
- 02 Second Labor Medals
- 02 Third Labor Medals
- 06 Merits given by the Prime Minister
- 09 continuous years awarded by the Government the Flag for “The pioneer in Competitive Movements”
- 03 People’s Artists
- 14 Meritorious Artists
- 12 Third Vietnam Glorious Fighter Medal (for Individual)
- “The Flag for Excellent Competitive awarded by the Ministry” in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009
- 07 Medals for the career of Culture - Information (for Individual)
- 24 Merits (for Theatre and Individual)
- 32 Merits (for Individual)
- 03 Merits awarded by the Ministry of Defense (for Theatre and Individual)
- 09 Medals for the career of Vietnam Trade-Union development
- 13 Merits awarded by Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union (for Theatre and Individual)
- 20 Merits awarded by the People’s Committee of Provinces and Cities (for Theatre)
2.1 NATIONAL ART PRIZES
- National Contemporary Music Solo (1987 – 1991)
- National Competition of Voice - Dance and Music (Da Nang 1995, Ho Chi Minh City 2005)
- Dance Young Talent (the Vietnam Dance Artist Association) in 1997, 2002, 2008
- National Competition of Voice - Dance and Music (Vinh City 2009)
- 07 First Prizes
- 01 Great Prize
- 16 Golden Medal
- 09 Silver Medal
- 01 First Prize
- 04 Second Prizes
- 05 Third Prizes
2.2 INTERNATIONAL ART PRIZES
- International Music Festival – Great Prize (1981 – Beclin)
- Golden Apple Festival in Moscow (1986)
- Gala 87 (Cuba)
- Golden Apple International Music Festival (Soviet Union – 1989)
- Pyong Yang Spring International Art Festival (Democratic People's Republic of North Korea 1989, 1993, 2002, 2004)
- “One Asia” Festival (Shanghai – China 1998)
- Voice-Dance, Music Festival in Italy, France (2000)
- The 18th International Music Festival in Mongolia (2001)…
- 02 First prizes
- 05 Golden cups
- 10 Silver cups
- 02 Second prize
- 01 medal